Tuesday 13 November 2012

My Top Ten Best of 2012

It appears to be getting to that time of year again, when Facebook becomes a daily update of how many "sleeps" there are until Christmas, or as I like to call it - Doctor Who Day. Some people call me a Grinch, others just say I need to get in the spirit of Christmas. If I'm honest, I always get in the festive spirit.......at Christmas time. Effectively Christmas is a day to celebrate the birth of a wee man born in a stable in front of some horses and a big star in the sky. It's a birthday celebration! Could you imagine if 2 months before your birthday you starting putting up banners and balloons? You would be slapped about the chops and told to simmer down............that's all I'm saying about Christmas.............get in the Christmas spirit, at Christmas time, not a few days after you dress up like a Donkey and beg for sweeties!

Anyway moving on...........

Last night I had a productive night, apart from watching another episode of "Arrow" and feeling that this show is now 4 episodes in and is lacking any real character, I listened to some great music. It got me thinking about the past year and the acts I've been to see live, have sent me an EP to review or have just posted a video on YouTube. I started thinking about whether I could pick a top ten "Best" acts of 2012! I then realised..............damn right I can!!

So here we go, lets start with the "Top Ten Best Acts of 2012"

10. Athos - I've really grown to love Athos since I interviewed them for KA Radio back in January, their music sits just on the Edge and has a level of production that most bands on the Mainstream circuit would be enviable of.

9. Shannon Slawta - I managed to get Shannon a slot at Cider fest back in August and she put on a hell of a performance, a voice that's definitely one to watch out for.

8. Kenneth Bowman - A true master of music, one of the best Singer/Songwriters around but severely underrated for the talent that he has.

7. Jiezuberband - My Boys (and Girl) one of the best bands around at the moment, Weird, Wacky and Talented.

6. Minor Delilah - I was sent their stuff when I was at KA Radio and eventually got to see them live at The Flask a couple of months later, a true band of performers with some great music to go along with it.

5.Dougie Greig - Dougie came along and played at the MESi Radio launch event, and is truly something to behold. His use of a loop pedal on his vocals is still my favourite moment from any gig I've been to this year.

4. Stonehouse Violets - A relatively new band on the circuit, but a band who are making massive waves. One of the most talented bands on the list. Their EP is definitely in my favourite 3 CD's of this year.

3. Anna Sweeney - What can I say about Anna? She's gone from strength to strength since the beginning of 2012 and is my favourite Singer/Songwriter of the year, and one of my favourite Singer/Songwriters of all time.

2. Brown Bear and the Bandits - Anyone who hasn't heard Brown Bear and the Bandits needs to take a long hard look at their music collection. Their most recent CD is my favourite CD of the year, not a single track I would change on it.

1. The Detours - The Detours!!! Need I say more? One of the most energetic bands I've ever had the privilege of seeing, not just this year, but in my life. The presence of the band when performing combined with their skillful musical craftsmanship is unbeaten. "One Last Chance" is my song of the year. The Detours could possibly be right up there with my favourite acts of all time.


So there you have it. Don't take everything I say as gospel, make up your own minds about musicians. Everyone has different taste, for example this tiny island got a Kids TV Builder to number one in the charts, do you really think that listening to anyone else give their evaluations and opinions should tell you what's right or wrong? Have a listen to everyone and decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment