Sunday 11 November 2012

Anna Sweeney - "Don't Look Down"

Sometimes I'm like a big kid......I get really excited and start clapping my hands like a seal when I get something really good, or something that I expect to be really good. 

Looking back on some of my previous blogs you'll probably see that I've spoken about Anna Sweeney a few times and always with high praise. So when I saw a facebook status from her asking for people to review her new track I just had to get in there and get the track. For me a new Anna Sweeney song is as exciting as it gets when it comes to local music.

"Don't look down" didn't disappoint.

When I think of Anna and her music I always imagine heartfelt, touching music played with grace and power but "Don't look down" was a step away from that. With the opening few bars you suddenly realise that this is an upbeat tempo with a bounce to it.

Guitar wise, the song seems to have the echo of a mixture of "Sweet Japonic" (check them out) and "The Scene Aesthetic" The arrangement is beautifully crafted, from the introduction right through the verses, every strum and note rings perfectly. Although truth be told I don't think that's hard for Anna to accomplish.

Vocal wise, Anna seems to be coming on with leaps and bounds with every track she releases. Listening back to "Some Say" and you can hear a difference in the control of her voice. Her voice is becoming more powerful and steady and the way she crafts various singing styles into this song is nothing short of spectacular.

All in all "Don't look down" is one of my new favourite tracks, and if it's anything to go by then when the EP comes around next year it will be amazing.

www.http://soundcloud.com/annasweeney

No comments:

Post a Comment