Friday 3 August 2012

Ciderfest/Prestfest fucking awesome weekend fest

Some weekends can go past and there's nothing going on really, apart from the odd gig or the odd "mini-festival" but every so often you get a weekend where the talent will blow you away!

First off this weekend we have "PrestFest" 70 acts in 17 venues over 3 days! Starting tonight and rolling right through until Sunday. Tommy Reilly is the first name that sticks out for me, after winning Channel 4's Orange Unsigned Act in 2009 he has gone on to play some of the best venues around the UK. Added to that the fact that his first single "Gimme a Call" reached number 14 in the UK charts in it's first release week. Him coming to play PrestFest is one of the many reasons that you should be in attendence. Other acts include the amazing Anna Sweeney, someone who I have a lot of respect for both on a musical level and personal level. She's one of the nicest people you could ever meet in your life (if you disregard the rumours about her alcoholism) and also one of the great singer/songwriters that Scotland has to offer. Added to the PrestFest line up are Little Fire, Scott Nicol, The Craybees, Twisted Melons, Mark Copeland and The Sharps. The Sharps are a band from Largs who I've become quite familiar with in recent weeks. They are definitely worth checking out and giving them some of your attention. Another band who I implore you to go and see are the Stonehouse Violets who are at the Eagle on  Sunday Night at 6:30pm.


If by any chance you don't fancy going along to one of the many great acts that PrestFest has to offer then why not pop along to the two day extravaganza of CiderFest at Harleys in Ayr. One of my own acts Shannon Slawta (recently brought on board to UUC Management to joing Jiezuberband and Broken Alphas) will be performing what is without doubt going to be one of the best sets of the entire weekend. Added to Politics of Time, an act who without a doubt matures over time. I'm not going to lie, when I first heard Politics of Time I wasn't impressed but the more you listen and the more determined he is to improve then the more I started to appreciate the talent. Then of course, there's me. I will be performing a set, apparently on both days, which I'm really confused about how I signed up to one day and ended up with two. Apparently that's how they roll!

Acoustic Bliss on Saturday night at the Firehouse, a staple point of Ayr music events. One of the greatest nights of the week, every week.  Pop along and you might just enjoy yourself.

I myself am looking forward to Ciderfest, mainly because I'm getting free food. Anyone who says there's no perks to being a musician couldn't be further from the truth!!

Stonehouse Violets on Sunday night are going to be amazing, I'm going to watch them put on a terrific show before I need to jump on a train to go to Glasgow to watch my boys Broken Alphas rip up the Cathouse! Busy weekend, but a weekend that nobody will forget!

Fuck the olympics, this is where the real shit's going on!



No comments:

Post a Comment