Tuesday 21 August 2012

The dog has had it's day

Some people are born with talent, others strive to gain talent. If someone has talent then it should always be showcased, no matter how or where, there's always a time and there's always a place.

Normally in this blog I concentrate on either a solo artist or a full band, its very rarely that I take an individual from a band. When someone has to hang up a microphone it can be the most horrid feeling in the world, I remember I had to do it a couple of years ago and my life was completely empty. All it took was that push and I was "back on it"

I started talking to Taay earlier on, one of Scotland's finest rap artists, and asked what was happening with "The Underdog Theory" to be met with the words........"I'm not with them anymore"

In that instant, my heart sunk......for me The Underdog Theory were my favourite band to come out of Ayrshire in a long time. I remember their debut performance, their EP (which I still have a copy of somewhere) they worked so hard and were such a great band, that Taay leaving just basically........well......it sucked. Taay was my favourite part of that band, his lyrics were out of this world, the context of each line echos in my mind still to this day.

"We had a new lineup (minus a singer) and nothing was getting done, there were no jams, no anything. I just couldn't be fucked with the nothing anymore so with great regret hung up the mic"


When a Drummer, Bassist and Vocalist leave a band, the band tends to just give up, but The Underdog Theory kept striving to progress and stay on the path to success, unfortunately, they couldn't get the vocal ability that they were looking for.


"We had loads of singers in the pipeline, but we were looking for that 'specific' sound and just couldn't find it......Chasing the dragon if you will"

So for now it looks like The Underdog Theory is no more. One of the finest group of musicians Ayrshire has seen in a while, no longer putting out the music that people love.


"It's a shame man because the new music was just missing some key components and it would have melted faces......there was one song that sounded like..what you would get if you mixed Rage with Killswitch...it was fucking epic"


Taay is without a doubt one of the most talented lyric scripter that I have every came across.......personally I hope that he hasn't hung up his microphone for the long run. One day hopefully he'll pick it up again and show the world what magic he can scribe.......

"To be honest.......I don't know what i'm gonna do.....music is such a big part of my life, I hate not doing anything, but who knows. I had some really really good stuff written for the album, very mature music but nothing ever really came of it"


New music from the rap master? Surely that's something that everyone wants to hear? Personally, if that doesn't make it to a recording studio there's some major issues with the world of music. Perhaps a solo career could be in the pipeline for Mr Taay?

"No........it (the music) was all but finished but it wouldn't be the same to do solo I hate solo music. Personally I hate not having a 'team' being on stage isn't as fun and then there's the fact that you're your own worst enemy criticism wise"

So it looks like that's it final, the dog has had it's day, and as much as I'm gutted that Taay is no longer an Underdog, and I'm sure that most people reading this are having the exact same feelings as me, the heart sunk and the sadness set in as soon as those words "I'm not with them anymore" were read, I know you felt it because I felt it to. It's all well and good feeling a tinge of sadness for the man who gave TUT that boost and that dimension that made them so good, but how does the man himself feel?


"I miss UDT a lot man, I was there from the start (Paton and I were the founders) I came up with the name, we had a rollercoaster of a ride, I mean......we were finalists in the unsigned act of the year, just narrowly missing out. Then like that.......nothing .....obscurity.....it's a horrible feeling..............leaving was the hardest decision I've had to make"





However at least we can have Taays compositions to get us by www.soundcloud.com/theforgottenones



No comments:

Post a Comment