Friday 27 July 2012

Stonehouse Violets

Sometimes in life you become lucky, you get to witness things before the rest of the world. It's one of the rare moments when you have something that no one else has and you don't want to share it. Yesterday I got lucky, I was sent the new EP by Stonehouse Violets. I don't want to share it, I want to keep it all to myself because quite frankly something as unique this is something that I want to be greedy with.




For months I've been talking about Stonehouse Violets and how they're the band to watch out for. Their stage presence is nothing short of extraordinary and their song writing abilities and musical talents are endless. So when that little facebook chat window opened up and I was offered the chance to hear their new EP before the rest of the world and review it.............I'd need to be a dumbass to refuse.

The first song I listened to was 99 degrees, and for the first few seconds I closed my eyes (often closing your eyes and listening to music is the best way) and I heard something new. It wasn't a band from the depths of Scotland, it was a world class band performing at the peak of their career. The song captivates you from the start and the whole way through. There isn't one moment that you feel the song has frazzled out or lost it's edge. It's a few minutes of sheer bliss! So much so that I listened to it another 2 times before I moved on, if I listen to a song twice it's a good song, if I listen to it three times then there's a good chance that nipples are erect!

Moving on to "I am the light" and you have 3 minutes and 19 seconds of pure unadulterated awesomeness! The band show what they are made of with this song, I'm a big believer that a band can play with all the talent in the world but if you don't have a good vocalist you're screwed. Stonehouse Violets have the whole package. Mikes silky vocals will make even the hardest critic have a massive smile on their face.

Finally we have "Fly Away" and I felt a little let down by this song. I'm going to tell you why............the song in itself is a majestic piece of musical art but compared to the other two I didn't feel it was as epic. It's still an amazing song from a band who could perhaps be one of the best bands ever to come out of Scotland. Once you get your copy of the EP make sure and listen to "Fly Away" first, because without taking the risk of upsetting anyone it's my least favourite on the album. I only listened to it twice in a row...........still a belter of a track.

The EP is out on the 18th of August with a launch night at The Attic in Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. I know I'll be there with bells and badges on. £5 for your ticket and that includes a 4 track EP a sticker and a badge! 4 Tracks!!!...........................hold on................I only got 3 tracks.............clever ploy for me to buy it, although in all honest I'd be buying it anyway, getting it signed and keeping it for the day when I get the Mega Bus to London with that EP and my Stonehouse Violets 02 Arena gig.......believe me it will happen!





No comments:

Post a Comment