Wednesday 23 January 2013

Rose Parade - Grace


There are some artists who feature prominently on my playlist and then there are others who don't but really should. It's not because I don't rate them but because I simply, over time, forget to put them on. So it's always great when they come back to the forefront of my mind and I fire on a couple of tracks and get back in the mood.

Tonight I remembered that Rose Parade were launching their new video for "Grace" and so I started going back through the "Archives" as I like to call them (really it's just a stack of cds on a couple of shelves or folders on my HDD) and listening to what I call "Wee Gems" and it's safe to say that Rose Parade are back on my radar.

To top off listening to that fantastic music from their past I also managed to watch the new video, which if the hype was anything to go by, it was going to be fantastic.

I'm a big fanboy for music that's not considered "Mainstream" or "Commercial" although I'm also a big believer of not putting labels on music and letting the music describe itself. Whenever something new comes out from someone on the local scene, I am on it like a moth to light (I was going to use some sort of Jimmy Saville reference but thought perhaps it was too soon, or inappropriate)

Anyway I was waiting for 7pm and the video for Rose Parade's "Grace" didn't disappoint. The videography itself is stunning, and the lense effects really bring it to life. I'm also a sucker for silhouettes or shadows in videos, I don't know what it is but I love them and the use of them in "Grace" just adds to what already (for me) was an astonishing video.

There's something about it that makes me think of a dream sequence from a movie, I can't remember the movie at the moment but when I do I shall edit this. It's a video that keeps your attention, there's no over the top theatricals or loud costumes, there's no crazy make-up or un-necessary gratuitous dancing. It's a video that simply embellishes the music that it's showcasing.

Stepping away from the videography for a moment I have to say that "Grace" is a perfect example of why Rose Parade should be off making millions and touring the world. I've always loved their music and it's so great to see that even years later they can still pull out magic from what I can only imagine is a giant bag of tricks. It's so easy to be labelled these days, but with a band like Rose Parade who are far from a one trick pony, it's so easy to see why music shouldn't be labelled.

With the debut album on it's way, I for one am excited. Although I have to apologise to Ed, I was supposed to meet that crazy man to get tickets off of him for the launch night and things kept coming up and I never got round to getting one. One of those things that happens but I could kick myself in the face for it.




No comments:

Post a Comment