Wednesday 6 February 2013

Pivo Pivo - The Changes by Sam Adgo


(Martin) It's strange for me, I'm really letting go of this reviewing Malarky ever so slightly and giving the work to some other people. It's hard for me to let go just that little bit, but it allows me to concentrate a bit more on some other aspects of UUC Management. Don't worry though, I'll still be posting reviews every week. Anyway tonight Sam took himself along to see 'The Changes' live at Pivo Pivo, So I'll hand over to him and let him fill you in.

At first glance The Changes were a mystery to me, I had no idea what to expect. I wasn’t really sure how or if I could put this band into the spotlight.

Now, I simply just can't get enough of them.
 Intricate guitar solos, perfectly bass fitting with sheer simplicity, yet every note struck was powerful.
I attended the gig and listened to whatever bands have gotten up and displayed their potential as artists, each act bringing their skills to the table. The only thing I can say is different about The Changes is that it's exactly what you would hope for, for any upcoming band, they're innovativen, outstanding and the way the whole band performs is almost too perfect to be true.
As the night progressed I learnt that they vary enough to keep it fresh, full, and every song I have heard so far has turned out to be a dream.
I was particularly keen on the lead guitarist, his craftsmanship shows that he's the type of player who knows what he's doing and has known for quite some time.
What I can say about the other members however is that they all fill their parts perfectly, the way that they pull the set together makes the music link together precisely and neatly.
Each song has been neatly brought into contrast with one another, constantly changing but never growing dull. Sometimes they remind me of punk music that's technical, other times they even remind me of Neil Young.
I suppose I should talk about the drummer, bassist and rhythm guitarist/vocalist more. The first thing that catches my attention is the sheer power of the bass, it never drops a note and can fill up any lost space in the music.
The drums are piercing and you can feel them shooting through your body with every tap of your foot, you could say they were perfect for the feel of the night. Not too powerful but THEY WERE THERE!!!
Finally I come to the rhythm guitarist/vocalist whose personality and stage confidence elude me, you can clearly see he's at home with everything he does and knows these songs all too well. He dances and interacts with the crowd brilliantly, I couldn't have picked a better front man for this band if I tried.
I can see why people call this band a psychedelic rockgroup, but in my mind they could fit a multitude of genres
All in all these guys knew what they were doing and I would class them as the best band that performed on the night. There’s nothing I love more than a band that can introduce themselves and just get on with it like there's not a care in the world, I deeply respect these guys and hope to get along to a lot more shows  in the future!
They call themselves Psychedelic Monster, I would say the beast inside them amplifies that perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment