Saturday 2 February 2013

A bit chaotic!

I think it's sometimes difficult to review an act and try and make them appeal to a mass market. For some artists it's easy, for example take Anna Sweeney, The Detours or even Jay Ingram. It's so easy to put things down and make them appeal to an audience that spans such an obscure and eclectic demographic. When it comes to the Metal Genre it's so much harder to put it down in a way that people can understand. That is: if when you're reviewing it, it appeals to you in the first place.

Not long ago I reviewed the first release from Chaos! Ayrshire's newest metal band. I felt that even then I was struggling to make them appeal to a mass market, but then I realised that I shouldn't worry about making my words appealing, the music speaks for itself. The first two tracks I reviewed were "Running Away" and "Let me go" you can read that blog HERE

Since the release of those two tracks Chaos! have exploded over the internet in a 'Music Releasing Frenzy' as I like to call it, so much so that my news feed often gets cluttered up. Not that I'm complaining, I make a joke of it now and again but I do love seeing bands work hard to get their music out there because it's not an easy task.

More recently the band release 'Fall' from their upcoming E.P (although with the way things are going, I can see this E.P turning into a debut album)

Once again Anna's vocals are nothing short of outstanding. I commented a few months back that Anna just had to get a bit more control over her voice and that is exactly what she's done. She's taken an already strong voice and built on it with precision and grace to bring out something that isn't far removed from Cristina Scabbia who is one of my all time favourite vocalists in this genre.

Instrumentation is another part of Chaos that seems to have dramatically improved over the last couple of months. There's something very precise about the way that the guitar has evolved over the course of the last couple of tracks. 'Fall' is a song that doesn't have to rely on over the top Metal Riffs, it has such a balance of Riff and Melody that it makes it such a strong piece of music. Metal music has evolved over time and I think that Chaos! have managed to bring together a lot of the various styles together in one EP.

Listening to 'Fall' I couldn't help think of Breaking Benjamin with a Female Vocalist and a bit more metal. So simple yet so complex at the same time. So captivating that even the non-metal fan would love it. In my opinion it's their best so far. Hopefully they can keep it up.

AND

You can catch them at the 13th Note on February 12th! For a mere £4 (UUC Presents).......yes it's a shameless plug and I don't care

No comments:

Post a Comment