Thursday 7 March 2013

Feuding Music

Someone once told me "In music, if you can make one new fan a year then you can class it as a success" frankly I thought it was a load of bullshit. You work hard day in and day out and all you get is one fan a year? I think to an extent that that could be true but ideally you want to be making new fans as often as possible. Anyway, I don't know where that came from, sometimes I like to just spout shite as you're probably aware of by now.

Psychedelic band "The Feuds" sent over a track to review, so I thought I might as well get a review done instead of sending it to one of the other numpties. Plus Kenny is currently liking to pretend that if he only does a review once a month it will make his reviews that bit more special.

'I just need your love' by The Feuds starts of with that annoyance that is distorted bass, I always feel that sometimes distorted bass can work if it's done properly, sadly though The Feuds don't pull it off. It's too 'fart through a distortion pedal' -esque for me. Aside from that, there's nothing special about the bass line. It's simple, not attention grabbing and pretty much a generic 3 note bass movement.

You do hold out hope though, song intro's can be deceiving, sometimes the best intro can lead into the worst song and vice versa, so there's always a small hope that the song will develop into something great. Alas that is not the case. The guitar is similar to the bass, for the first few bars it has a three note structure which does nothing for the music. Imagine if you will being 14 years old and picking up your first guitar, you have no idea how to play it but you know that those first three notes you played sound like they kind of make some sort of tune so you play it over and over again, however everyone else around you realises that those three notes are flat and dull. Although to give them their due, I think that halfway through the track The Feuds realised this and decided to add a bit off feedback to the guitar to make it sound more interesting, it really doesn't though.

The drums are pretty much as bland as the rest of the track, there's a lot of over play on the snare. No decent fills and no real change to the way the drums progress through the track. I'm trying to find something good about this track but I really can't and as much as I want to I'm finding it pretty much impossible. The vocals could be the only saving grace about the track. They have a slight huskiness to them which make for good listening however the rest of the track pulls it all back down.

I don't think it's fair to judge a band on one track and I think sometimes that can happen when doing reviews, I think that this band could pull something out of the bag a few months/years down the line but right now it's just not for me. The track is dull, repetitive and doesn't strike any emotion into the listener.

Right now however I think The Feuds need to lock themselves away in a room, pull up the YouTube tutorials and buy "The Idiots Guide to Songwriting" then perhaps my views will change.

1 comment:

  1. say it like it is no point holdin back

    ReplyDelete